More than 25 years of Excellence in Commerce and Management Education
The fashion of the Faculty of Commerce and Management Studies of University of Kelaniya, is to show the correct path for the young energetic blood in the country to achieve the success together. More than sixteen years of its journey, the faculty is serving to the country by providing a proper space for the undergraduates and for the professionals to develop their talents individually and as a team.“All of us do not have equal talent, but all of us should have an equal opportunity to develop our talent.” - John F. Kennedy.In line with the rapid changes in the Sri Lankan economy the relevance of commerce and management education has become more imperative in the country. Identifying the real need locally and internationally the faculty is currently moving towards an e-learning environment and to a research culture. In order to produce smart, innovative and creative professionals to the community the faculty has realized the importance of providing more opportunities, introducing new master degree programs & extending; undergraduate programs; of Commerce, Accountancy, Human Resource Management and Marketing Management to Finance, Entrepreneurship and Business Technology.Hence, the products of the Faculty of Commerce & Management Studies of University of Kelaniya are always fashionable, innovative and creative with smart thinking.
The FCMS today consists of five departments, namely,
These five departments are offering a total of ten (10) degree programmes in various disciplines. There are 130 academic staff members, 28 non-academic staff members and one administrative officer to cater about 2,200 undergraduates in this faculty. The FCMS has so far produced more than 10,000 graduates and most of them are in the forefront of managerial ranks in public and private sector organizations both locally and internationally. Further, some of our graduates are prominent entrepreneurs in the country.
- Department of Commerce and Financial Management
- Department of Human Resource Management
- Department of Accountancy
- Department of Marketing
- Department of Finance.
Moreover, the FCMS has become a destination for young researchers, business leaders, entrepreneurs etc. with several postgraduate degree programmes introduced by the FCMS in 2006 (The FCMS introduced its first Masters Degree programme in 1986). Currently, the FCMS is offering (both by the Faculty and Individual Departments) a total of
for more than 1,000 postgraduate students, who have become an indispensable part of the FCMS. These internationally recognised postgraduate qualifications help them to broaden their intellectual horizons and business career prospectus in numerous ways. Notably, the fee levying postgraduate courses in this nature help shape the future sustainability of the FCMS.
- one (01) Doctor of Business Administration programme
- five (05) Masters Degree programmes
- five (05) Diploma programmes
- five (05) Higher Diploma programmes
- two (02) Postgraduate Diploma programmes
nurture tomorrow's leaders"
- Focus on impactful research
- FCMS will invest on developing a research culture in the faculty to attract national and international researchers and research students.
- Providing infrastructure, resources, funding, and the training required to strengthen the research expertise of the faculty will be a major priority.
- Research with impact on the society, business, economy, and the nation at large will be fostered.
- Commitment to innovation & invention
- Embed invention & innovation into the curriculum
- Create an invention & innovation friendly eco-system in the faculty
- Facilitate invention & innovation in the means of funding, infrastructure, and resources
- Benevolent engagement and partnerships with the stakeholders
- Engage stakeholders of FCMS in curriculum development and enhancing the skills of learning partners
- Conduct collaborative research and conduct research for the industry
- Develop an eco-system for joint knowledge creation and dissemination
- Integrity and transparency in governance
- FCMS will be fair and transparent in all the functions carried out from admission, education management, results issuance, document management and financial management
- Integrity and transparency will be practiced in all the relations with internal & external stakeholders
- Foster lifelong learning among academics & scholars
- Lifelong learning opportunities will be created through an active alumni associations/membership schemes
- Mindset of continuous learning and development will be nurtured in both staff and learning partners
- Excellence in teaching & learning
- FMCS will attract/recruit and retain the best talent in teaching and research to enhance the quality of the graduate/student output.
- Up-to-date, state of art curriculums will be developed & maintain to meet the international standards and needs of future
- A futuristic mindset will be nurtured where teaching and learning will be focused on crafting a future savvy graduate
- FCMS will invest in infrastructure, contemporary technologies and learning spaces required for effective programme delivery and knowledge dissemination.
- Foster a world class learning experience to all the learning partners.
Established Department of Commerce under the Faculty of Social Sciences
Master of Commerce
Faculty of Commerce and Management Studies
Department of Accountancy and Human Resource Management
Department of Marketing
Master of Business Administration (MBA Kelaniya)
Finance Studies Unit
International Conference on Business and Information (ICBI)
Department of Finance
Kelaniya Journal of Management
Center for Management Research (CMR)
Staff Development Unit (SDU)
Doctor of Business Administration (DBA)
Diploma/Higher Diploma in Financial Service Management