Major Responsibilities of the FQAC
To promote quality enhancement activities within the faculty liaising with Curriculum and Academic Development Committee, Teaching and Learning Committee, Research Development and Higher Degree Committee and other Faculty committees and departments.
To liaise with the Internal QAC of the University and Quality Assurance Council of the UGC in facilitating the conduct of external reviews in the faculty and the institutional review.
To facilitate implementation of follow-up actions recommended in external review reports, and monitor progress of the quality related activities initiated by the cell.
To liaise with internal QACs in other higher educational institutions,
To share good practices and enhance the quality
To conduct QA related awareness programmes among staff members
To obtain feedback from stakeholders on services / products and include where relevant findings that will improve the performance
Recent Activities of FQAC
Study Programme Review – All 5 departments in the FCMS faced external review in 2018
Institutional Review of the University in 2020
Recommendations on Best Practices
Programme Review 2018
Following the guidelines stipulated in the manual for review of undergraduate programmes of Sri Lankan universities and higher education institutes prepared by the Quality Assurance Council of the UGC. FCMS submmited Self Evaluation Reports (SER) of its programmes for external evaluation. Four departments out of five were able to secure A grade for SER.
The Faculty Quality Assurance Cell (FQAC) of the Faculty of Commerce and Management Studies (FCMS) is established to create a culture that seeks to continually improve the quality of all academic activities and other activities in the FCMS.
1. The functions of the FQAC shall be to:
2. Promote quality enhancement activities within the FCMS.
3. Liaise with the Internal Quality Assurance Unit (IQAU) of the University in facilitating the conduct of Institutional Review and Programme Review (PR).
4. Prepare self-evaluation report for PR.
5. Guide departments in the FCMS in preparation of self-evaluation reports for programme and subject reviews.
6. Facilitate implementation of follow-up actions recommended in subject, programme or institutional review reports, and monitor progress in their implementation.
7. Liaise with quality assurance units in other higher educational institutions, to share good practices and enhance the quality of higher education in Sri Lanka.
8. Develop policy standards for the activities of the faculty.
Quality Assurance (QA) activities at Faculty level shall be managed by Faculty committee established and the FQAC shall be headed by the Dean and the FQAC shall be managed by a Management Committee (MC) which comprise of,
1. The Dean of the Faculty
2. The Head of each Department in the Faculty
3. The cadre Chair Professors in each Department in the Faculty
Three other members nominated by the Dean from among the senior academic staff of the Faculty
Administrative Officer (SAR or AR)
Invitees to the Committee Meetings
Director - Center for Management Research
Coordinator – Faculty Corporate Plan Committee
Coordinator - Faculty Staff Development Center
Coordinator – Faculty Examination Unit
Department Quality Assurance Coordinators
Faculty Special Project Coordinators
Two external members
The Management Committee shall meet at least six times for each calendar year. Quorum shall be 50% of the membership
Terms of office
The Administrative Officer (SAR or AR) assigned to the Faculty shall serve as the Secretary to the FQAC. Terms of office for appointed members of this committee will be three (03) years.
Responsibilities and Duties of the Coordinator of the FQAC
1. Communicate with the Director IQAU to coordinate Faculty level QA activities
2. Represent the Faculty in all QA related activities and organize faculty QA meetings
3. Recommend name of members to the Dean to be appoint as department coordinators or members for each criterion in the QA Manual of the UGC
4. Guide department coordinators to prepare the Self Evaluation Report (SER)
5.Liaise with professional quality assurance and accreditation bodies on matters pertaining to QA and accreditation if required
6. Monitor the collection and analysis of Faculty level QA data such as student feedback forms and peer review forms
7. Answer and address issues relate to QA raised by faculty members in general and by the department coordinators in particular
8. Work with other related committees and units within the faculty on matters related to QA
9. Report the activities of the FQAC to the Faculty Board and IQAU regularly
10. Represent the Faculty at the IQAU and report the progress of FQAC
Dr. C. N. Wickramasinghe – Head/Dept. of Commerce and Financial Management
Dr. K. K. Thilakasiri – Head/Dept. of Accountancy
Ms. M. P. N. Janadari – Head/Dept. of Human Resource Management
Dr. D. M. R. Dissanayake – Head/Dept. of Marketing Management
Dr. R. Abeysekara - Head/Dept. of Finance
Senior Prof. R. P. C. Ranjani - Chair Professor
Ms. Y. M. S. W. V. Sangarandeniya – Former representative of the Faculty Quality Assurance Cell
Dr. W. V. A. D. Karunarathne – Coordinator / Faculty Examination Unit (Invitee)
Dr. M. A. T. K. Munasinghe – Committee member/AHEAD Project Coordinator (Invitee)
Dr. D. U. Mohan – Coordinator of the staff Development Unit (Invitee)
Dr. A. M. I. Lakshan – Quality Assurance Coordinator of the Dept. of Accountancy
Dr. M. M. M. Shamil – Quality Assurance Coordinator of the Dept of Commerce and Financial Management (Invitee)
Dr. R. A. I. C. Karunarathne – Quality Assurance Coordinator of the Dept. of Human Resource Management /Director Center for Management Research (Invitee)
Ms. D. A. G. P. K. Gayathree – Coordinator for the Corporate Plan Committee of the Faculty/ Quality Assurance Coordinator of the Dept. of Marketing Management (Invitee)
Ms. Dananjani Basnayake – Coordinator of the Dept. of Finance (Invitee)
QACC of the UGC
University Home page
Template for exam paper front cover
Template for Assignment feedback
Feedback form formats
Staff peer review form
Workload reporting form
QA activities reporting form
Curriculum revision reporting form
Dean's list and Faculty Awards Application
Dean's list and Faculty Awards Information
- Dean's List Academic Year 2016/2017